Sunday, August 24, 2008

Blog Post #1 Effective Communication

Communication is a process that we are all born with but is taken for granted by many. Communicating with family, friends, peers, superiors or even strangers is something that happens in our day to day life. Something that comes naturally to everyone, isn't it? But, how many of us communicate effectively? There must be at least one case of misunderstanding in all our lives because of our inability to communicate effectively.

I was taught the importance of effective communication pretty early in my life, when I had to travel back and forth between two countries. I spent my childhood and teenage life in two very different countries – Japan and India. In Japan, I also attended an international school for a couple of years – the majority of the students and even teachers were American. Thus, even at a young age, I was exposed to various cultural differences. Being able to speak three languages fluently, I have come to realize that I unconsciously tend to change my approach, tone and even mannerism when I switch between them or when I am talking to someone from that specific country. Growing up in different environments and amongst different people has taught me that effective communication plays a key role in bringing everyone together. Understanding the culture, customs, values, non-verbal cues, various ways of speaking (formal, informal) and such are very important in order to communicate effectively with a person from a different cultural background whether in a social setting or in a workplace.

I have always had problems in organizing my thoughts and expressing them clearly. I believe that in learning to communicate effectively I will be able to overcome these barriers and be able to step into the working world more confidently. Job search, conveying the proper ideas, understanding instructions appropriately form my superiors, business correspondence, report documentation and attending meetings, will soon be something my working world will revolve around and I hope to be armed with the necessary weapons. While browsing the textbook, I realized there is more to communicate effectively than in just listening, talking and understanding a person's cultural background - to 'actively' listen, to overcome various barriers (emotional, psychological, environmental), to give the right non-verbal cues and so on. Learning all these various ways of developing effective communication will provide me with the opportunity to improve myself as an individual and also as important member of the society.

4 comments:

RevelationToday said...

very well written. I see that u can communicate well. Keep up the excellent piece of writing =).Goodluck ..cheers Ruzaika

xue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
xue said...

Hi Divya,

Like you, I have learnt how cultural differences can play an important role in communication through exposure to a culture totally different from mine.

I have spent two years learning the French language and have understood that language and culture are intertwined. I realise that I cannot fully master the language without appreciating and embracing the French culture. To speak a language well, one has to be open-minded to what the culture can offer him.

I am an enthusiast of the French culture and have spent a summer in France last year for a language immersion programme. My proficiency in the language improved leaps and bounds through, no doubt, the six-hour lesson everyday come rain or shine, but more importantly, through soaking in the warmth of the French culture. It is by being physically present to comprehend the background of the native speakers and to hear with my own ears the context in which the language is being used that I believe have helped me much. I believe, too, that your ability to speak a third language fluently comes from being in close contact with people of that particular culture constantly.

It is said that a person who can speak two languages is worth two persons. In that case, the both of us are worth six persons together!

grace kim said...

Hi Divya, since you have experienced life in two other cultures, it would have been good to have included in your post, anecdotes to show how "understanding the culture, customs, values, non-verbal cues, various ways of speaking (formal, informal) and such are very important in order to communicate effectively with a person from a different cultural background whether in a social setting or in a workplace". What were some cultural barriers that you experienced?

On the whole, good work!